Welcome to the first episode of the City Witch podcast. I'll be channeling a tarot reading for the people every new moon, to explore the energy of the lunar cycle with a focus on building collective power, inspired by adrienne maree brown's #movementtarot.
I N V O C A T I O N
I invite and welcome the element of air and it’s new beginnings, renewal, inspiration, and communication, into this space.
I invite and welcome the element of fire and it’s transformation, growth, passion, and joy, into this space.
I invite and welcome the element of water and it’s emotions, flow, receptivity, and healing into this space.
I invite and welcome the element of earth and it’s grounding, nurturing, wisdom and abundance into this space.
I invite and welcome the element of spirit and it’s connection, oneness, infinite, unconditional love into this space.
I invite and welcome the guardians, spirit guides and helpers, well-intentioned ancestors, and spirits of the land and place, to bring forth the highest and best for the people.
1) WHAT TO LEAVE IN THE LAST LUNAR CYCLE : ACE OF SWORDS
- moving from individual ideation to collaborative ideation
- obsessive thought loops
- leaving behind chaos to find order (the emperor)
- leaving behind a narrow, one pointed focus
- how do we balance order in our ideation without being too narrow
- going into wormholes to find new perspectives
- in what ways has your perspective shifted since the last new moon?
2) THE ESSENCE OF THIS LUNAR CYCLE : THE DEVIL RX
- feeling guilty about indulging in earthly pleasures
- exploring the body, sensuality, indulgence
- undoing the collective shadow and the concept of “sin” (queen of wands)
- “we have to stop demonizing pleasure. We try to leverage control over the natural world by making our emotions and sensations less reliable than our thoughts, and then burn at the stake anyone who stays attuned to the ways and power of pleasure in the natural world” emergent strategy
3) THE DEEPER LESSON OF THIS LUNAR CYCLE : 6 OF WANDS
- affirmation, validation, how to self-validate instead of relying on external validation
- being open to receiving praise rather than deflecting, how beautiful it is to be seen/witnessed/heard
- lifting people up based on personality replicates the dynamics of power and hierarchy we’re trying to dismantle and isolates people, puts them up on pedestals (no gurus no masters)
4) WHAT TO INITIATE ON THIS NEW MOON : KING OF SWORDS RX
- the king of swords manifests spirit and soul through the voice, facilitates truth
- Radical Honesty – emergent strategy
- speaking our truth even if our voice shakes
- asking for what we need
- saying aloud what we want
- being honest when something hurts us
- asking the questions we want answered
- building our relationships inside this honesty
- white supremacy/capitalism tells us that if we’re not white/straight/able-bodied/thin our truths don’t matter
- dropping critique and liberating our relationships through curiosity (this is why we need to leave behind the narrowness of the ace of swords)
5) A SKILL/TOOL TO USE : THE EMPEROR
- making things easier for people to work together, structure, boundaries
- interdependent roots (oak trees)
- the navigator: slow holler
- strategy: plan of action, what is your strategy for pleasure?
- the art of flocking: separate, aligned, cohesive
- collective power
6) HOW TO NOURISH OURSELVES : ACE OF CUPS
- abundantly, lavishly, ripe, overflowing
- nourishing our core (the ace)
- fall in love with ourselves
- what do you find intoxicating about yourself?
- “you weren’t starving before you got here, you were born full” – Chani Nicholas, nourishment from acknowledging our fullness
- accumulating the positives DBT
7) A SOURCE OF PLEASURE : QUEEN OF WANDS RX
- releasing guilt/shame/sin
- shame keeps us small, pleasure is generative
- magic/ritual, how can we ritualize pleasure this lunar cycle
- ritual is how we mark the present moment as sacred, separate from wherever we just came and wherever we’re going to next
- sources include feeling, sensation, wholeness
- what makes you feel whole?
8) WHERE WE'RE GOING: KING OF PENTACLES RX
- self doubt when encountering obstacles
- learning to collaborate as opposed to conquering obstacles
- ants tell each other where food is because the more that can gather food, the more the community will have
- how to relate to a changing earth (a flooded earth, a dry earth, a frozen earth), climate grief
- how to prepare for transformation and innovation, not just suffering
WORK WITH ME